Firecracker Mexican Rice
- Watch video
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced, seeds and all (if you can't handle a lot of heat, omit or lessen the amount of seeds)
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbs chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tbs salt + whatever you like to taste
- pepper to taste
- sour cream and cheese for garnish (optional)
Put oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno to pot and saute for about 3 minutes, or just shy of onions being translucent. Add rice and saute for about another minute. Slowly add chicken broth and tomato sauce (be careful adding cold liquid to a hot pot). Go ahead and add oregano and the amount of salt and pepper you think you will need. We used about 1 tbs salt and 1/2 tbs pepper. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Resist the urge to stir and let simmer for about 20 minutes. At this point, you should be able to fluff it with a fork.
If you went all the way with the pepper, you might want to serve with sour cream and cheese.