Potato Pancakes with Creamy Onion Sauce
- Watch video
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 cup diced green onion or scallions
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbl oil (enough to cover bottom of your pan and give the pancakes something to lounge around in!)
- *for sauce:
- 1 package of onion soup mix
- 1 pint sour cream or plain yogurt
- *whatever you like on your fries you will like on potato pancakes!
Boil potatoes until soft and take the skin off. Shred potatoes with a cheese grater into a bowl. Add chopped green onion and cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix together and pack into a 1/2 cup measure. When tightly packed just pop the measuring cup against your hand and, presto, a perfect sized patty!
In a meduim sized skillet, heat up your oil over a medium high heat. Once oil shimmers, gently slid the pancakes in. Let them get golden brown on one side before turning. If you don't you will have pancake mush. Just be patient!
While those are heating up get a small bowl and pour in your onion soup mix. I used yougurt in stead of the sour cream the package called for but the sour cream would be delicious too! If you use the yougurt you will use whatever amount that the soup package calls for!
Once your pancakes are golden brown on both sides, just take out and dollop some delicous sauce on top and enjoy!